Necessary Lies


I love books that make me question the grey areas in life. Relationships, ethics, society's expectations and so many more such topics. The book I'm currently listening to (almost done) is Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain. I'm not sure if I want to call this a book review because I'm mostly going to be looking at sharing points from the book that made me think or at the very least made me question where I stand on some topics. Since I'm pressed for time I'm going to just go ahead and call it a 'review'.


                                                                                      Image from goodreads

In brief, the story takes place somewhere in the 60s (if I remember correctly) and is about a woman who becomes a Social Worker. She keeps having to face the fact that she's different because of her outlook towards life. She's someone who 'cares too much' and shows humanity to people who live on welfare. She has to decide their futures and help with their living conditions. The story itself is nothing that hasn't been written about before but the writing style has a flow to it. Not once did I ever feel like I wasn't drawn into the lives of the characters.

The case workers are the ones who have certain metrics in place and decide based on the environment, family history, health conditions, education levels and IQ if a person needs 'steralization' or not. Humans are literally treated like cats/dogs that need to get neutered and no one wants to acknowledge that the victims have feelings, attachments and desires too. Desires are only connected to sex and not dreams, wishes or hopes. The 'adults' can choose to opt for a procedure to stop from having anymore kids or not. But in most cases the people living on Welfare are either 'colored people' or 'white trash'. The majority of the population sees sex as a form of release from their stressful, labor dominant, meaningless lives. The average age to get pregnant in such communities is shown as 15ish. These young adults and sometimes even children as young as 10 are robbed off their future because they're poor, hence dumb and will only burden society by going at it like bunnies and end up with babies they can't take care of.

Throughout the book there are arguments between logic and feelings and that's what kept drawing me into it. On one hand you KNOW there isn't a future, you KNOW because of negligence the child is in danger, you KNOW without education and any skills there's a very bleak future for a 'stupid' character. Yet, with such strong emotions, well intentions, and the hope for change really makes you question what is really right or wrong.

Is it right for the Government to judge the life of a child/young adult based on their current situation? Generally, your teenage years are considered the 'awkward years' - where you're looking at figuring out what your life has in store for you. When you're making that inevitable transition into adulthood. You're trying to get comfortable in your skin yet trying not to stand out. How can anyone be asked to make a decision during all these changes? How can you be forced to live with a choice made at such a young age for the rest of your life? Can you or anybody else really rob someone off their rights, their dreams, their choices? Do you erase poverty by erasing traces of the person?

Another point I found interesting is that the book addresses sex education in such environments. Sex is used as an escapism technique, a form of release, a means of survival and a means to control. A household of three members is focused on in the book and one character enjoys sex with one partner but has very low understanding of sex education. The other knows about it and maybe has multiple partners, may not use protection always, doesn't enjoy sex but is still active. The third one is old, next to hates sex - believing it to be a nuisance because of unwanted pregnancies. I thought the Author showed this particular subject in a very lovely way. There were so many perspectives on what the majority of people blame as ignorance / loose morals. I was looking at all the situations and how other characters were reacting to sex - even their judgements and biases added to the beauty of how this was handled.

The last topic that really stood out for me is one that I've thought about on and off for years. The funny thing is I always come back with a different view on this topic when I reflect upon it...
                             The truth!
How important is it to tell the truth? What if the truth hurts someone? Who are you really telling the truth for - yourself? Who is to say what is right or wrong? If the lie has kept someone happy, or at least not depressed, should you really go and tell them the truth? The truth is so subjective and this book drives that point. At least I believe it so.

All in all, I really enjoyed how 'Necessary Lies' is one of those few books that makes me question my views and leaves a door open for debate without being too dramatic or boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment